The social module of the Toolbox measures the type and quantity of social signals available for the ranking URLs of a domain. At the moment we cover five large social networks and measure the following social signals.
- Facebook: likes, shares and comments on a URL are each measured as a social signal and added together. The 3 values can be analyzed separately in the toolbox.
- Twitter: how often is a URL mentioned on Twitter. (Data available to 2015)
- Google+: how often is a URL mentioned on GooglePlus. (Note: Google+ will be closed down in April 2019)
- LinkedIn: frequency of mentions on LinkedIn
- Pinterest: frequency of mentions on Pinterest
To measure these numbers we verify the known URLs of a domain using the official APIs of the networks, collect the social signals and save the time-stamp data.
It is important to note that we only summarise the social signals of one domain: facebook fanpages, twitter accounts and similar activities take place on the providers’ own platforms rather than your own domain. Consequently, the social signals created by these activities are not counted.