It’s important to remember that a Google algorithm change may have been responsible for large changes in SEO visibility. We track every update carefully and below you’ll find the list of all known official and unofficial updates since the first in 2002
What is a Google Algorithm Update?
The Google search algorithm is responsible for taking web pages, found by its crawlers and added to its index, and sorting them into results for queries. Over the years it has developed from something simple – easily tricked by carefully crafted URLs and content – to an algorithm that includes machine learning and AI, the latest being MUM.
Are Google Algorithm updates important for SEO?
The goal of every Google algorithm change, also called a Google Update, is to (further) increase the quality of the search results for the user. Google uses more than 200 ranking factors to determine the quality and relevancy of every URL. Google’s ranking algorithms help get the most relevant information from the Google-Index.
Algorithm updates may affect your rankings and visibility but if you are following the Quality Rate Guidelines and writing the content that your users want to see, a Google Algorithm update may never affect your rankings, at least directly. Other sites can gain and lose visibility and this will indirectly affect your own SEO rankings.
List of all Google algorithm updates
- 28.07.2021 Google Link Spam update
- 03.07.2021: Google Core Update July 2021
- 28.06.2021: Google Spam Update Part 2
- 23.06.2021: Google Spam Update Part 1
- 15.06.2021: Page Experience Update
- 02.06.2021: Google Core Update June 2021
- 03.12.2020: Google Core Update December 2020
- 04.05.2020: Google Core Update May 2020
- 13.01.2020: Google Core Update January 2020
- 24.09.2019: Google Core Update September 2019
- 02.06.2019: Google Core Update June 2019
- 13.03.2019: Google Core Update March 2019
- 08.10.2018: Medic Update #2
- 29.09.2018: Small Google Core Update
- 01.08.2018: Medic Update
- 12.03.2018: Google Core Update March 2018
- 05.11.2017: Unknown Google Update November 2017
- 08.06.2017: Unknown Google Update June 2017
- 29.03.2017: Google Fred Update
- 12.02.2017: Unknown Google Update February 2017
- 09.10.2016: Google Penguin 4.0 Update
- 08.07.2016: Unknown Google Update July 2016
- 04.08.2015: Google Panda Update 4.2
- 03.05.2015: Google Phantom Update May 2015
- 21.05.2015: Google Mobile-Friendly Ranking-Factor Update
- 21.10.2014: Google Pirate Update 2.0
- 17.10.2014: Google Penguin Update 3.0
- 26.09.2014: Google Panda Update 4.1
- 06.08.2014: Google HTTPS Ranking-Factor Update
- 13.06.2014: Google Payday Loan 3.0 Update
- 21.05.2014: Google Panda Update 4.0
- 17.05.2014: Google Payday Loan 2.0 Update
- 06.02.2014: Google Page Layout Update #3 (Ads Above The Fold)
- 04.10.2013: Google Penguin Update 2.1
- 26.09.2013: Google Hummingbird Update
- 11.06.2013: Google Payday Loan Update
- 22.05.2013: Google Penguin Update 2.0
- 09.10.2012: Google Page Layout Update #2 (Ads Above The Fold)
- 08.10.2012: Google DMCA Penalty
- 27.09.2012: Google Exact-Match Domain (EMD) Update
- 24.04.2012: Google Penguin Update
- 27.02.2012: Google Venice Update
- 19.01.2012: Google Page Layout Algorithm Update (Ads Above The Fold)
- 03.11.2011 Google Freshness Update
- 16.08.2011: Google Expanded Sitelinks Update
- 12.08.2011: Google Panda Update
- 18.01.2009: Google Vince Update (Brand Update)
- 2008: Google Dewey Update April 2008
- 2007: Google Buffy Update Juni 2007
- 2005: Google Big Daddy Update
- 2005: Google Jagger Update
- 2005: Google Gilligan Update
- 2005: Google Bourbon Update
- 2005: Google Allegra Update
- 2004: Google Brandy Update
- 2004: Google Austin Update
- 2003: Google Florida Update
- 2003: Google Fritz Update
- 2003: Google Esmeralda Update
- 2003: Google Dominic Update
- 2003: Google Cassandra Update
- 2003: Google Boston Update
- 2002: First documented Google Update
More information on Google Updates
- How often does Google carry out Algorithm Updates?
- What is the difference between an Update and a Data Refresh?
- What is the Google Everflux?
- How do I recognise an Algorithmic Penalty?
Google Update Overview
We have compiled all algorithm changes into a helpful Google Updates Overview. You can simply type in a domain for free and see how it did during the weeks of public Google Updates.
Video explanation from Google
Matt Cutts from Google explains: What are some of the metrics that Google uses to evaluate whether one iteration of the ranking algorithm is delivering better quality results to users than another?