It’s important to remember that a Google algorithm change may have been responsible for large changes in SEO visibility. We track every update carefully and below you’ll find the list of all known official and unofficial updates since the first in 2002
What is a Google Algorithm Update?
The Google search algorithm is responsible for taking web pages, found by its crawlers and added to its index, and sorting them into results for queries. Over the years it has developed from something simple – easily tricked by carefully crafted URLs and content – to an algorithm that includes machine learning and AI, the latest being MUM.
Lily talks about Google algorithm updates and core updates.
Are Google Algorithm updates important for SEO?
The goal of every Google algorithm change, also called a Google Update, is to (further) increase the quality of the search results for the user. Google uses more than 200 ranking factors to determine the quality and relevancy of every URL. Google’s ranking algorithms help get the most relevant information from the Google-Index.
Algorithm updates may affect your rankings and visibility but if you are following the Quality Rate Guidelines and writing the content that your users want to see, a Google Algorithm update may never affect your rankings, at least directly. Other sites can gain and lose visibility and this will indirectly affect your own SEO rankings.
List of all Google algorithm updates
- 1st Dec 2021 Google Product Reviews Update
- 17 Nov 2021 Google Nov 2021 Core Update
- 3rd Nov 2021 Google Nov 2021 Spam Update
- 28th July 2021 Google Link Spam update
- 3rd July 2021: Google Core Update July 2021
- 28th June 2021: Google Spam Update Part 2
- 23rd June 2021: Google Spam Update Part 1
- 15th June 2021: Page Experience Update
- 2nd June 2021: Google Core Update June 2021
- 3rd Dec 2020: Google Core Update December 2020
- 4th May 2020: Google Core Update May 2020
- 13th Jan 2020: Google Core Update January 2020
- 24th Sept 2019: Google Core Update September 2019
- 2nd June 2019: Google Core Update June 2019
- 13th March 2019: Google Core Update March 2019
- 8th Oct 2018: Medic Update #2
- 29th Sept 2018: Small Google Core Update
- 1st Aug 2018: Medic Update
- 12th March 2018: Google Core Update March 2018
- 5th Nov 2017: Unknown Google Update November 2017
- 8th June 2017: Unknown Google Update June 2017
- 29th March 2017: Google Fred Update
- 12th Feb 2017: Unknown Google Update February 2017
- 9th Oct 2016: Google Penguin 4.0 Update
- 8th July 2016: Unknown Google Update July 2016
- 4th Aug 2015: Google Panda Update 4.2
- 3rd May 2015: Google Phantom Update May 2015
- 21st April 2015: Google Mobile-Friendly Ranking-Factor Update
- 21st Oct 2014: Google Pirate Update 2.0
- 17th Oct 2014: Google Penguin Update 3.0
- 26th Sept 2014: Google Panda Update 4.1
- 6th Aug 2014: Google HTTPS Ranking-Factor Update
- 13 June 2014: Google Payday Loan 3.0 Update
- 21st May 2014: Google Panda Update 4.0
- 17th May 2014: Google Payday Loan 2.0 Update
- 6th Feb 2014: Google Page Layout Update #3 (Ads Above The Fold)
- 4th Oct 2013: Google Penguin Update 2.1
- 26th Sept 2013: Google Hummingbird Update
- 11th June 2013: Google Payday Loan Update
- 22nd May 2013: Google Penguin Update 2.0
- 9th Oct 2012: Google Page Layout Update #2 (Ads Above The Fold)
- 8th Oct 2012: Google DMCA Penalty
- 27th Sept 2012: Google Exact-Match Domain (EMD) Update
- 24th April 2012: Google Penguin Update
- 27th Feb 2012: Google Venice Update
- 19th Jan 2012: Google Page Layout Algorithm Update (Ads Above The Fold)
- 3rd Nov 2011 Google Freshness Update
- 16th Aug 2011: Google Expanded Sitelinks Update
- 12th Aug 2011: Google Panda Update
- 18th Jan 2009: Google Vince Update (Brand Update)
- April 2008: Google Dewey Update April 2008
- June 2007: Google Buffy Update Juni 2007
- 2005: Google Big Daddy Update
- 2005: Google Jagger Update
- 2005: Google Gilligan Update
- 2005: Google Bourbon Update
- 2005: Google Allegra Update
- 2004: Google Brandy Update
- 2004: Google Austin Update
- 2003: Google Florida Update
- 2003: Google Fritz Update
- 2003: Google Esmeralda Update
- 2003: Google Dominic Update
- 2003: Google Cassandra Update
- 2003: Google Boston Update
- 2002: First documented Google Update
More information on Google Updates
- How often does Google carry out Algorithm Updates?
- What is the difference between an Update and a Data Refresh?
- What is the Google Everflux?
- How do I recognise an Algorithmic Penalty?
Free Google Update Check
We have compiled all algorithm changes into a helpful Google Updates Overview. You can simply type in a domain for free and see how it did during the weeks of public Google Updates. The tool works for all of the countries we cover with our SERP archive data.
Video explanation from Google
Matt Cutts from Google explains: What are some of the metrics that Google uses to evaluate whether one iteration of the ranking algorithm is delivering better quality results to users than another?