It’s important to remember that a Google algorithm change may have been responsible for large changes in SEO visibility. We track every update carefully and below you’ll find the list of all known official and unofficial updates since the first in 2002
Lily Ray talks about Google algorithm updates and core updates.
What is a Google Algorithm Update?
The Google search algorithm is responsible for taking web pages, found by its crawlers and added to its index, and sorting them into results for queries. Over the years it has developed from something simple – easily tricked by carefully crafted URLs and content – to an algorithm that includes machine learning and AI.
Are Google Algorithm updates important for SEO?
The goal of every Google algorithm change, also called a Google Update, is to (further) increase the quality of the search results for the user. Google uses more than 200 ranking factors to determine the quality and relevancy of every URL. Google’s ranking algorithms help get the most relevant information from the Google-Index.
Algorithm updates may affect your rankings and visibility but if you are following the Quality Rater Guidelines and writing the content that your users want to see, a Google Algorithm update may never affect your rankings, at least directly. Other sites can gain and lose visibility and this will indirectly affect your own SEO rankings.
List of all Google algorithm updates
Google lists all major updates since 2020 on its Google Search Central update list.
- 8th November 2023 Reviews Update
- 2nd November 2023 Google Core Update
- 5th October 2023 Google Core Update
- 4th October 2023 Google Spam Update
- 14th September 2023 Google Helpful Content Update 2023
- 22nd August 2023 Google Core Update August 2023
- 12th April 2023 Google Reviews Update April 2023
- 15th March 2023 Google Core Update March 2023
- 21st February 2023 Product Reviews Update February 2023
- 5th December 2022 Helpful Content Update
- 19th October 2022 Google Spam Update 2022
- 20th September 2022 Product Reviews Update
- 12th September 2022 Google Sept 2022 Core Update
- 25th August 2022 Google Helpful Content Update
- 27 July 2022 Google Product Reviews Update July 2022
- 25 May 2022 Google Core Update May 2022
- 23 March 2022 Google Product Reviews Update March 2022
- 1st December 2021 Google Product Reviews Update
- 17 November 2021 Google Nov 2021 Core Update
- 3rd November 2021 Google Nov 2021 Spam Update
- 28th July 2021 Google Link Spam update
- 3rd July 2021: Google Core Update July 2021
- 28th June 2021: Google Spam Update Part 2
- 23rd June 2021: Google Spam Update Part 1
- 15th June 2021: Page Experience Update
- 2nd June 2021: Google Core Update June 2021
- 3rd December 2020: Google Core Update December 2020
- 4th May 2020: Google Core Update May 2020
- 13th January 2020: Google Core Update January 2020
- 24th September 2019: Google Core Update September 2019
- 2nd June 2019: Google Core Update June 2019
- 13th March 2019: Google Core Update March 2019
- 8th October 2018: Medic Update #2
- 29th September 2018: Small Google Core Update
- 1st August 2018: Medic Update
- 12th March 2018: Google Core Update March 2018
- 5th November 2017: Unknown Google Update November 2017
- 8th June 2017: Unknown Google Update June 2017
- 29th March 2017: Google Fred Update
- 12th February 2017: Unknown Google Update February 2017
- 9th October 2016: Google Penguin 4.0 Update
- 8th July 2016: Unknown Google Update July 2016
- 4th August 2015: Google Panda Update 4.2
- 3rd May 2015: Google Phantom Update May 2015
- 21st April 2015: Google Mobile-Friendly Ranking-Factor Update
- 21st October 2014: Google Pirate Update 2.0
- 17th October 2014: Google Penguin Update 3.0
- 26th September 2014: Google Panda Update 4.1
- 6th August 2014: Google HTTPS Ranking-Factor Update
- 13 June 2014: Google Payday Loan 3.0 Update
- 21st May 2014: Google Panda Update 4.0
- 17th May 2014: Google Payday Loan 2.0 Update
- 6th February 2014: Google Page Layout Update #3 (Ads Above The Fold)
- 4th October 2013: Google Penguin Update 2.1
- 26th September 2013: Google Hummingbird Update
- 11th June 2013: Google Payday Loan Update
- 22nd May 2013: Google Penguin Update 2.0
- 9th October 2012: Google Page Layout Update #2 (Ads Above The Fold)
- 8th October 2012: Google DMCA Penalty
- 27th September 2012: Google Exact-Match Domain (EMD) Update
- 24th April 2012: Google Penguin Update
- 27th February 2012: Google Venice Update
- 19th January 2012: Google Page Layout Algorithm Update (Ads Above The Fold)
- 3rd November 2011 Google Freshness Update
- 16th August 2011: Google Expanded Sitelinks Update
- 12th August 2011: Google Panda Update
- 18th January 2009: Google Vince Update (Brand Update)
- April 2008: Google Dewey Update April 2008
- June 2007: Google Buffy Update Juni 2007
- 2005: Google Big Daddy Update
- 2005: Google Jagger Update
- 2005: Google Gilligan Update
- 2005: Google Bourbon Update
- 2005: Google Allegra Update
- 2004: Google Brandy Update
- 2004: Google Austin Update
- 2003: Google Florida Update
- 2003: Google Fritz Update
- 2003: Google Esmeralda Update
- 2003: Google Dominic Update
- 2003: Google Cassandra Update
- 2003: Google Boston Update
- 2002: First documented Google Update
More information on Google Updates
- How often does Google carry out Algorithm Updates?
- What is the difference between an Update and a Data Refresh?
- What is the Google Everflux?
- How do I recognise an Algorithmic Penalty?
Free Google Update Check
We have compiled all algorithm changes into a helpful Google Updates Overview. You can simply type in a domain for free and see how it did during the weeks of public Google Updates. The tool works for all of the countries we cover with our SERP archive data.